2018-2019 High School Hockey Season

For you Upper Peninsula Hockey fans

Moderator: Moderator Group

2018-2019 High School Hockey Season

Postby Zarek » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Well this thread isn’t going to start itself..

Regarding the state of the Copper Country, the mining gazette has published previews of each team.

Calumet:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... ey-season/

Houghton:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... ey-season/

Hancock:

http://www.mininggazette.com/sports/loc ... d-quickly/

Hockey fans in general can enjoy the first episode of the “State Champs High School Hockey Report” Podcast:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 38036&_rdr

I think overall the Hancock article is a bit more pessimistic than it should be. Sure they graduated Ted Randell and thankfully Alex Nordstrom is playing hockey in Canada, But the majority of the rest of their point scorers were juniors and sophomores including those two Salanis. Going down the stretch I think they will be just fine.

Last year houghton had a good lightning thunder combination with Dawson McKay and an overall physical team, they did graduate McKay and their goaltender, but they do have lots of returning players.

The CopperKings graduate two starters from last year ( defensemen and goaltender) and return lots of players who know how to get the puck in the net.

In D3 news, it looks like Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook and the UD Jesuit Cubs are moving down to D3 this year. Both are definitely contenders to win it. Calumet will be playing their annual two game series with both of them.

In terms of schedules it looks like Livonia Stevenson is making the trip up to the UP for the first time to play Houghton and Hancock. Over the last few years, more and more big name hockey schools have been coming to the UP for the first time including: Hartland, Orchard Lake St. Mary Prep, Birmingham Brother Rice and many others.

How are some of those other UP teams doing? I know ESKY took lots of lumps last year, but they were a very very young team and should be much improved.
Zarek
UP Football Guru

Re: 2018-2019 High School Hockey Season

Postby Hueby » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:21 pm

If there are no Marquette fans, I’ll try to post some updates on them. My connections / their kids up there have all since long graduated but if there are no takers I’ll try to keep an eye on them.

I wonder why Cranbrook and UD Jesuit are dropping down?

Am positive there is a young man down here from Marquette who plays for Notre Dame Academy. I remember reading about this last season.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:08 pm

Well it took a lot of "rocks, paper, scissors" games, but I beat out 25 Marquette fans to post! lol

Catching up on Redmen hockey, they started the season on the road downstate. Some of the golfing fundraising money must have been put to good use.

Marquette started the season defeating Berkley 2-1, then tied Utica Eisenhower 1-1. Utica Eisenhower is ranked #7 in D1 so a good test here.

In Marquette's home opener, they took it on the chin losing to Houghton 3-0. Then in their next game they traveled down the road to Delta County and defeated Escanaba 5-2. rrnsports has a write up on the game for those interested.

On Tue 4 Dec 18 Marquette hosts Calumet. Should be another good tough game against their fellow U.P. opponents.

Marquette is ranked #8 in D2. Kingsford was ranked #15. Am sure the Copper Country teams are ranked high in D3- haven't checked.

All I heard about the hockey around here was Ashwaubenon got spanked by Notre Dame Academy 9-1.

In junior hockey, recently the Green Bay Gamblers got out played by the Central Illinois Flyers 7-2. Central Illinois has an assistant coach on the staff- Andy Contois of Marquette. Hope to catch them in early March when they come back here.

Red Wings seem to be playing much better! On the positive side, what I like about this team is different players step up- it's not like one player makes or breaks this team. Have a hunch their time will come!
Hueby
All UP

Postby Hueby » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Reading about the Escanaba / Kingsford game. Sounds like the Flivvs are having problems staying out of the box and Esky showed much improvement after their loss to Marquette.

Dropped in on the Finlandia Lions hockey website. To date they are 1-4-1 in the NCHA, 3-7-1 overall.

Opponents have been UW- River Falls, Milwaukee School of Engineering, Concordia WI, UW- Superior and UW- Eau Claire. Next they host UW- Stout.

U.P. Products on their roster:

Dylan Paavola Fr Hancock
Hunter Kero So Hancock
Teddy Randell Fr Hancock
Connor Hannon So Houghton
Cale Markham So Houghton
Dawson Kero Fr Hancock
Marcus Gloss So Houghton

One of their assistant coaches is former NHL player Jeff Finger of Houghton.
Hueby
All UP

Postby Zarek » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:49 am

I haven’t followed Finlandia in the past, but it seems they are getting more competitive than in years past. Hopefully they can put together a few wins. That might generate some more fans in attendance.
Zarek
UP Football Guru

Postby Hambone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Finlandia's issues are the same for hockey as they are for their other sports, they don't offer enough 4 year degree programs to interest more student athletes. If you aren't a business student, there are only 4-5 other options for 4 year degrees.
Hambone

Postby Hueby » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 am

It would be good if Finlandia could expand their education department like Hambone is saying. Just saw their basketball team got routed pretty good by UW-Oshkosh.

Haven’t been to a St Norbert hockey game in a few years but while attendance isn’t like up in MTU or NMU, they usually pack the small rink with around 1000. Just generalizing- But D3 Hockey seems very fast and skilled. Some of those Minnesota D3 colleges that came to play SNC had huge / tall defensemen but you could tell they were a little slower. But overall they have real good competition within the UW and private schools. UWEC and UWSP have been exceptional.

Appreciate the TV6 sports- saw the Marquette vs Calumet hockey highlights.Cally won 3-2.
Hueby
All UP

Postby frogyakker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 am

Hello!
The 2018-19 Flivver team will be a work in progress but early returns are positive. KHS lost 10 skaters from last year. 8 to graduation, 1 (Daunte Fortner) to Juniors and 1 to a season ending football injury ( Drew Hebert). Had Houghton down 3-2 with 6 minutes left Tuesday and wound up losing in overtime. The first year skaters have shown some early season promise and the veterans are providing stability. Sitting at 3-2 after 5 games is not a bad start. Have Negaunee and Calumet next week. No nights off in U.P. high school hockey.
Frogyakker
frogyakker
UP Football Guru

Return to UP Hockey